How many times has this happened to you: you’re getting your home and property ready for a spring get-together or summer barbeque (so popular in Oklahoma), and suddenly you realize that some unwelcome guests have already arrived: pests. Whether termite or mosquito, you don’t want these uninvited intruders becoming permanent fixtures in your home.
Naturally, GreenPro can swoop in with our services! While we are most often sought out for mosquito infestations, we are proud to offer a variety of Outdoor Pest Control services to help you regardless of the situation you face.
Before you give GreenPro a call, however, we wanted to make sure you knew of the best ways to check your home or property for signs of infestation – particularly in the springtime, when these signs can first start to appear.
Pest infestation signs
Below are three common pests and indicators of an infestation:
The easiest way to tell if you have a cockroach infestation is the telltale signs of egg casings. In the case of cockroaches, you’re looking for small shells that are black, brown, or dark red. An abundance of these may mean you’ve got cockroaches on your premises. Other signs include small droppings that look like black pepper grains, as well as strong oily odors.
Seeing flies regularly around your home? Do you have a bunch of flies around your garbage cans or waste containers? Are they congregating regularly on your porch or (worse) in your home? You may have an infestation, in which case you should call an exterminator, or at least invest in a really good fly-swatter. (Note: seeing a few flies every so often does not necessarily mean you have an infestation.)
A larger and more serious problem may arise if you have rodents that have invaded your space. Telltale signs here include small black droppings (mice have droppings about the size of rice grains; rates have droppings about the size of jellybeans); a strong smell of ammonia (rodent urine); or nests made from materials such as lint and fabric.
I’ve Got Pests! What Do I Do?
For larger pests and rodents, you should absolutely call an exterminator. However, additionally, there are a few simple things you can do around your home to prevent an infestation:
- Ants are huge fans of leftovers, so be sure to store food in airtight containers like Tupperware or jars with rubber seals on the lids.
- Keep a tight lid on your trash can at all times and move the trash to an outside dumpster as soon as possible.
- Inspect your home for cracks or holes in walls, the foundation, and vents. If you find any, fill or seal them as soon as possible to prevent termites, roaches, and other pests.
- Landscaping that comes in contact with your home gives pests an easier way indoors, so be sure to trim those trees and bushes back!
- Fix any leaking pipes, faucets, appliances, etc. Standing water can attract many different types of pests.
- Clean your counter tops, tables, and floors on a regular basis to prevent crumbs or food buildup.
- If you don’t have screens on your windows or storm doors, install some. You’ll be able to let fresh air in without worrying about pests.
- Beetles and termites love wood, so eliminate any scrap wood inside or outside your home.
- Keep your home clutter-free. Pests love hiding out in dark areas, so the more clutter you have, the more homes they have to choose from.
- Use pest control products like zappers, sprays, sticky paper, and more to prevent the problem from getting bigger.
- Before they come inside, check your pets for fleas. Once fleas are indoors, they can easily spread.
- Vacuum your home frequently to eliminate pests and/or pest eggs.
- Use citronella candles when outdoors to prevent mosquitoes.
- Resist using wood mulch for your landscaping. Instead, try gravel or rock.
GreenPro’s Outdoor Pest Control service is incredibly valuable, protecting you, your family, your animals, and even your yard from dozens of diseases and nuisances. If you suspect you may have an infestation of uninvited pests as guests, give us a call – GreenPro will make sure that the only guests you have this summer are the guests you want!