Families and homeowners throughout Oklahoma are looking to their homes for shelter and solace. Like never before, our homes have become places for us to gather, to find refuge, and to enjoy the comforts only home provides. And when the walls start to close in, our outdoor spaces become crucial for families to take in their property, relax, and get away from it all.
Many of us may be evaluating our homes and its different features and trying to rethink how we can approach our outdoor spaces and create the ultimate outdoor entertaining area. Regardless of budget, there are many ways to refine, revise, or upgrade our outdoor living landscapes. Below are a few ideas that may help you get started.
Do It Yourself
If you have a smaller budget, you can start with some DIY projects around the house that won’t break the bank but will still help you create that great outdoor gathering space you’re looking for.
- Add a small, free-standing gas fire pit
- Install a wireless TV and/or wireless speakers on your patio
- String Christmas or LED lighting over your patio or porch or on pathways
- Freshen up your perennial beds with new color
- Reduce turf and create a more sustainable, water-friendly garden
- Get a clean edge on your bed lines with a landscape refresh
- Add planters and containers full of beautiful, colorful flowers and plants
- Stain your patio surface
- Add bird feeders and other opportunities to attract wildlife
- Buy a rug and throw pillows to update your outdoor space
- Paint and refurbish existing patio furniture with new cushions to give it new life
- Update tired outdoor furniture
Budget for Professional Help
For those homeowners with a little more money to spare, you may want to consider augmenting your existing infrastructure with some added elements and upgrades. As landscape professionals, GreenPro can be helpful at this budget level because we can help you find areas to save, where to spend, and create a long-term plan that phases in your vision over time.
- Overlay a new patio, such as with pavers, tile, or stone
- Install a small pergola or structure to create a shaded outdoor dining space, adding dimension and becoming a great focal point for entertaining
- Create an outdoor seating area with new furniture accented with perennial containers
- Add a freestanding water feature
- Retrofit your irrigation system with upgrades and new technology
- Add color and privacy with the addition of fresh plants, flower beds, and trees
Outdoor Oasis Investment
The bigger the budget, the bigger you can dream. Homeowners with even more resources and some imagination have the ability to their transform outdoor spaces into the ultimate entertaining and gathering place.
- Outdoor kitchens with BBQ, burners, refrigerators, and sinks.
- Large, built-in outdoor fireplace, which can extend the patio season well into fall
- Expand your existing patio or create additional outdoor spaces in your landscape for privacy and reflection
- Install the latest outdoor A/V technology—speakers, lighting, TVs, and more
- Add a large water feature, such as a fountain or stream
- Install a lap pool or spa
- Install a gaming area for beach volleyball, croquet, or lawn bowling
- Consider a full landscape overhaul–Rework a large property or estate with new lush greenscapes, flower beds, trees, or garden to create your dream outdoor space
Whether you are on a small budget or are interested in making a larger investment, the key is to enlist landscape professionals who can maximize your space, create a plan for future improvements, and ensure you don’t make costly mistakes.
Get Professional Help From the Start
Getting an outdoor landscape professional involved from the beginning has a multitude of benefits:
- They can maximize your budget with tools and tricks to make sure your vision can come to life while keeping realistic expectations, keeping within budget
- Professional landscape architects have been trained to design, plan, and build under all conditions and environments—they are likely to experience the minimal amount of mistakes. (Designing a landscape is complex!)
- Professionals think in phases so you can start with a master plan and then work on one phase at a time. This can be a cost-effective solution for homeowners who don’t have the full budget to do everything at once.
At GreenPro we pride ourselves on helping homeowners maximize their living spaces. If you’re looking for ways to augment, improve, or maximize your property, give us a call.
We’re happy to work with you to make your outdoor landscape a place for your family to gather, relax, and remember what’s most important.